Launched in September 2012 by Sean Rad, Justin Mateen, Jonathan Badeen, Joe Munoz, Whitney Wolfe and Chris Gylczynski, Tinder currently has over 50 million monthly active users. With 10 million daily active users and over 100 million downloads, Tinder is also available in over 196 countries, in 30 languages. What started off as an easy means for students in colleges to meet new people, is now worth more than $3 billion.
Let’s take a look at some of the unknown facts about the world’s biggest dating app, Tinder.
1. Two years after its launch, Tinder hit one million matches. However, by 2015, the company claimed to have close to 15 million matches in a day.
2. According to stats, women on an average spend 8.5 minutes on the app while men spend only 7.2 minutes. However, the number of men on the app far outnumbers the women, 60:40
3. Hollywood celebrities such as Ed Sheeran, Lindsay Lohan, Lily Allen, Katy Perry also use Tinder.
4. The app is used for 35 minutes on an average per day, per user.
5. Tinder, a way to connect with new and interesting people around you, witnesses close to 1.6 billion swipes per day and boasts a total of more than 20 billion matches to date. It roughly translates to 26 million matches made per day.
6. Despite being a startup company, Tinder never raised any institutional money apart from its majority investor InterActive Group.
7. Per week, almost 1.5 million dates are set up on Tinder.
8. During the Winter Olympics, the app saw a 1,850% increase in members using the latest feature Tinder Passport along with a 348% increase in overall Tinder usage, 565% increase in the number of right swipes and a 644% increase in matches.
9. Tinder has an in house sociologist to help point users in the right direction for making connections.
10. Tinder pays $100 k towards the cost of an LGBTQ wedding for any couple who met through the dating app.